Shubert Centennial Renovation Update
Join us and follow the progress!
As we approach the Shubert Theatre’s 100th Anniversary we are embarking on a Centennial Plan that will ensure both the theatre’s physical and financial future.
As part of this Plan, starting in May, we will begin a multi-year renovation project to address significant deferred maintenance and upgrades to this century old building.
The Shubert Theatre and CAPA
We are proud to announce that this past December the City of New Haven transferred ownership of the Shubert Theatre to CAPA.
We look forward to continuing the great tradition of this legendary theatre for generations to come. We are happy to announce that we will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Shubert Theatre on December 11, 2014.
We want to assure you – the actual theatre space will remain unaltered and retain its beautiful and historic architectural elements.
The Renovation of the Shubert
When the multi-year Centennial project is completed, you will discover:
- An Expanded Lobby/Atrium – Improving the patron’s experience beginning at the front door;
- An Additional Multi-Functional Performance Venue - Creating opportunities for an increased variety of entertainment offerings and events such as music, dance, movies, comedy and other genres;
- Additional Restrooms - On all levels increasing availability and accessibility;
- Revitalized Façade and Plaza – Enhancing the streetscape and patron accessibility;
- Upgrades to Backstage and Support Spaces – Providing accessibility and enhancing the patron experience.
Benefits to the Shubert Neighborhood
The additional performance space will generate additional performance nights, bringing more patrons to the downtown area.
Repairs to back-of-house production elements will allow us to continue and expand the building of Broadway touring productions creating an additional economic impact of $1 million per show.
Construction will provide work for over 100 tradesmen, expanding the 167 non-theater jobs the Shubert creates each year.
Learn how you can support the Centennial Plan and help build the Shubert's future.