CAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted June 12, 2019Contact Us
The Connecticut Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) seeks a Head Carpenter to oversee all aspects of stage operations for all events at the Shubert Theatre main stage, located in New Haven, Connecticut. This is an hourly, as-needed position covered under the IATSE Local No. 74 collective bargaining agreement (CBA). Health and pension benefits will be administered as outlined in the CBA through IATSE.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee set-up needs for stage
- Maintain CAPA/Shubert equipment, to include yearly inventory of all equipment
- Overseeing receiving deliveries related to stage operations and events
- Work with Director of Operations and Operations Production Manager as well as outside user groups to prepare for upcoming events, including appropriate staffing levels, work hours, and equipments needs
- Provides cost and personnel estimates when requested by the Director of Operations.
- Work with the Director of Operations to establish and implement Facility Fund budget as it relates to the needs of the Shubert Theatre stage.
- Review, approve, and submit payroll for stagehands in a timely manner
- Provide positive working relations with outside rental users and building staff
- Serve as a member of the theatre’s safety committee
- Coordinate with Director of Operations and /or the Operations Production Manager crew call times for load ins, box calls and load outs in a timely manner
- Monthly or meetings as needed with the Director of Operations to discuss future events and other department needs
- Provides oversight of all stage operations.
- Advances shows as needed in coordination with the Director of Operations and the Operations Production Manager.
- Responsible for the procurement and distribution of the IATSE labor force for Shubert events.
- Organizes the production load-in and load-out, and directs stage personnel in their work.
- Works with Director of Operations and artist management to coordinate performance.
- Communicates with users of the stage about their needs and expectations.
- Maintains a safe working environment for staff and users of the stage, including adhering to safety rules from management and regulatory agencies.
- Works with security to provide a safe environment for all guests and staff.
- Provides event cost including stage personnel and equipment to CAPA staff for settlement in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with the Director of Operations and /or the Operations Production Manager any needs regarding added crew meals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform moderate lifting.
- Must be able to climb and be comfortable in high places.
- Working knowledge of rigging for event presentations.
- Well-rounded understanding of carpentry, electrics, and sound to be able to monitor all facets of event production.
- Must be able to read and comprehend contract riders for various types of events.
- Ability to problem solve, including diplomatic resolution of situations that sometimes arise for the users of the theatre.
- Strong computer skills including working with Outlook, Word, Excel, CAD files.
- Credentials and Experience
- Ten years supervisory experience directing stage personnel and operations of various genres in a road house or related experience with large scale productions.
- Ten years’ experience in stage carpentry, rigging and theatrical stage work.
- Must be able to work day, evenings, weekends and holidays when theatre activity requires.
- Member of IATSE or willing to join IATSE Local 74.
Application Deadline: Monday, July 15, 2019
Apply via our Applicant Tracking System
CAPA/Shubert Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Hourly Part-Time Concessions Bartender
Posted March 13, 2019Contact Us
Shubert Theatre is looking for Concession Bartenders. This position serves concessions and drinks to patrons coming to the historic Shubert Theatre. Duties include selling soda, candy, wine, beer, and mixed drinks. Applicants should be TIPS certified or able to become so in the first month of employment. Concession Bartenders must possess the ability to engage in a friendly way with all guests, along with the ability to work with grace under pressure. Bartending experience preferred but not necessary. Work hours to vary according to performance and facility schedule. Average hours per month vary between 5 – 20 hours, depending on the schedule of the facility. Starting wage is $10.10 per hour plus tips.
To Apply: E-mail resume to Lmichaels@capa.com. CAPA and the Shubert Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.